Translate

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Have Mercy On Me A Caveman

One of the inherent problems with speaking to the ills of the church or pointing out heresies among us is the fact that I remain a sinner. "Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God have mercy on me a sinner." The first response of those guilty of heresy or who are participants of the ills of the church is to attack the messenger. Point out the fact that the messenger is faulty and you may be able to divert the relevance of the message. Except for Christ, there is not one human messenger of Truth who is innately sinless. Prophets of old, knowing their own frailties, even ran from their mission or hid under trees, hoping God might choose another to deliver words of correction. Paul the Apostle, spoke openly of his propensity to do other than what he knew to be right. Did the fact that these men were sinners negate what God had called them to do regarding the protection of God's people and the advancement of his kingdom? Those who enjoy the process of pointing out others faults or speaking to the ills of the Church should be suspect. One should ask from what spirit they speak. It is those who long for a good cave in which to hide and yet remain in the battle who may, just may, have something worth hearing and their words just might be other worldly. It is the ones who constantly feel they have no right to say anything yet are compelled by truth to do so, who may, just may, have the Spirit within them driving them.

" And I brethren, when I came to you did not come with excellency of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear and in trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." Paul the Apostle

I will never have anything new to say. It has already been said. If I spend my whole life just learning and repeating the faith handed down to us I still will not have gained all the wisdom available. What an amazing dichotomy, that He "chooses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise." I am a Caveman. All in all, I'd rather just help with the church bake sale.

2 comments:

  1. Why do you think I use the handle: "Orthodox Caveman." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the club. Pun intended.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.