Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Blight On Christianity

As the world watches, the self appointed "Reverend" Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church continues to drive people away from the gates of heaven through his hatred for those God loves. This time he plans to protest at actor Heath Ledger's memorial service. As Orthodox Christians we are to pray for the soul of Heath and for his family who grieves. The old adage is missed by Phelps that we are to love the sinner but hate the sin. How dare Jesus eat with the publicans and sinners! Phelps is not the face of Christianity. His is the face of an arrogant, maniacal pharisee. But Phelps' own estranged son Mark, says it best:

"I believe in God and the Bible, and my father's behavior doesn't fit the description of behavior that would show in the life of one who loves God; behavior characteristics such as Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-control. Instead, my father's behavior characterizes, I believe, Hate, Outbursts of Wrath, Contention, Jealousy, Vengefulness, Misery, Harshness, and Selfish ambition. He mis-states the truth about his own behavior, about others, about the Bible, with apparent ease and regularity. He behaves with a viciousness the likes of which I have never seen. He accepts no genuine accountability in his life and is subject to no one. His lifestyle betrays the sacred trust of what a pastor, husband, father and grandfather should be. I suppose if a comparison were made between the life of Jesus Christ and my father, there would not be much to compare.I believe that Topekans are making a good effort to try and stop him and should continue to do so. He can seem very intimidating. He can use foul language and come across with a booming voice to the community, but the truth is, like the Wizard of Oz, when Toto pulls the curtain back, instead of this big powerful individual, it's only a small, pathetic old man. I feel sorry for my father as I would for anyone who displays this kind of hate and evil viciousness. These can only be the manifestations of tortured, injured and agonizing souls."

2 comments:

  1. *Shivers* that's a face I didn't think I'd see on an Odox blog. How can a guy like that repent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like to think that all can come to repentance, but the fact is some won't. God still hardens hearts to accomplish His purposes, but I think this man hardened his own. Sorry for the shivers. I'll post a picture of a puppy to balance things out.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.