Translate

Friday, January 16, 2015

The Orthodox KKK?

Christians: We must take great care in our public (and private) discourse toward one another. The world is watching, and in that world are lost souls whose eternity hangs in the balance. Discuss the faith, the doctrines of the church, and any errors in orthodox understanding of the truth, but refrain from ad hominem attacks [adverb; adjective 1.(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining. "vicious ad hominem attacks" ].

Saint James, the brother of our Lord, calls it slander.
"Do not speak evil [*slander] of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother [*slander] and judges [**] his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law [***a judge], you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?"
So, what is the Orthodox KKK? It is those individuals or groups that practice the three K's that Saint James points out:

* Katalaleo; from kata, against, and laleo, to speak. To insult, defame, slur, slander. The word is rather broad in meaning, taking in every sort of defamation or verbal aspersion. The fundamental notion is that of speaking about a person in a manner which is aimed at maligning and discrediting him or injuring his reputation, roughly equivalent to the modern slang "to bad mouth" (Jas 4:11; 1 Pe 2:12; 3:16)

** Krino; to discriminate between good and evil, select, choose out the good. In the NT it means to judge, form or give an opinion after separating and considering the particulars of a case. To judge, try in a solemn manner, spoken of men, of God, of Christ as the God-Man; to judge, pass sentence, or give one's opinion in a private manner; to discern, form a mental judgement or opinion; to judge, evaluate, esteem, or perhaps to merely state a preference; to judge properly, determine; to condemn; to furnish matter or occasion for condemnation.

*** Krites; from Krino, to judge. A judge.

So, you see, even if we are right in our assessment of another, to give the assessment in a katalaleo, krino, krites way is not our right to do. We have become the Orthodox KKK and such is not orthodox at all. In fact, we are commanded to not conduct ourselves in such a way. Why? Because God is the judge of the individual, not us. This does not negate our responsibility to judge what is truth and what is not, (see: Quit Repeating "Judge Not!" We Are Supposed To "Judge"!)  but the focus should be on the truth and not on the person. Many JTO articles have been prompted by what I have seen others do or say, but the posts have focused on the subject, the topic, with an exposition on the truth, and have not been about the person who said or did it. But have there been exceptions?

In the nine years since the first JTO post, I have attempted to refrain from the "KKK's"  and ad hominem methods of discourse in both the posts and comments (See The Power Of "You" In Interpersonal Communication and Judging Others). Wherein I have not been faithful in that, I ask forgiveness. In discussing Ecumenism, I have used quotes from individuals. I have posted an e-mail exchange from a "messianic prophet" who said that if I was not on his mailing list I would not enter the Kingdom of God. And I have posted an article on two individuals, that I name, whose blogs and posts are the very epitome of the KKK's and ad hominems, focused on the personal destruction of individuals. Perhaps none of this was even my right to do? 

This blog reflects my Journey To Orthodoxy. I challenge all JTO readers, as I have multiple times, to help keep me on the straight path. But, in doing so, point out where I am wrong in my words, conclusions, doctrine, and orthodox mind, refraining from the KKK's and ad hominems directed toward my character, motives, and intent. Remembering always, that it is the Holy Spirit who ultimately guides us into all truth and that I have a Bishop, who is the chief shepherd of my soul. The objective of JTO has always been that others may learn from my ups and down, my rights and wrongs, my discoveries in truth, and that my arrogant soul may be tempered and humiliated.

CHALLENGE: Select anything I have written, not what you presume I believe, but, what I have actually written, and offer a rebuttal or correction, void of personal attacks, and I will post it. Many have done this throughout the years, and you will find those beneficial discussions in the comment section below the posts. I have also had many profitable exchanges via e-mail: journeytoorthodoxy@gmail.com. A few of those beneficial exchanges have been posted as articles or prompted me to make corrections or clarifications of some posts or comments. I look forward to hearing from you... unless you are member of the Orthodox KKK.
"And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power; That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 1 Cor. 2:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.