Translate

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Where I blew it with my children- A father's recompense

My wife and I were blessed with five healthy daughters. "Yes" they were all ours and "No" we were not Catholic. I guess we just didn't read the right books and never figured out what was causing our fruitfulness. Nevertheless, we didn't fight it too much and received every one of our daughters with love and hope. As a man of faith in God, I determined that I would raise them to fear God all the days of their lives. What I did not know was that I had a skewed idea of what it meant to "fear" God. I set out to teach my children a set of principles, rules, and conduct that the tenants of Christianity dictated was necessary to make God pleased with them. My method was to reward good deeds and punish the bad deeds. Surely, in this way they would learn the simple lesson that to do God's will gains God's pleasure and to not do God's will gains God's punishment. After all, isn't this why Jesus came in the first place, to take the ultimate punishment for our sins? God's dealing with the sin of man goes something like this, "God wasn't mad. He got mad. He isn't mad anymore." Every transgression demands satisfaction! Doesn't it? Well, I was successful. My daughters learned to "fear" God. They also learned to "fear" me and the weak link in this fine theology is the fact that if they do sin, fall, screw up, they feel so useless, so much the failure, so guilty, that they just can't face that fearsome, angry, punishing God. Now my daughters are having to learn to love God and the fact that God loves them. The same goes for their relationship with me. I blew it. I skewed it. And now I must make recompense.

One of the first illuminations I received when entering the truth of the Orthodox faith was the fact that there is no room in the Christian faith for an angry, punishing God. When I was a young boy in my protestant church where my father was the pastor, I heard a visiting protestant evangelist preach the sermon, "God's Three Deadlines". In the sermon, he illustrated the point that God had a standard of rules that you had better obey, that God would give you a chance or two, but you had better do right before he lost patience with you and you crossed that third deadline. If you crossed God's third deadline it was all over and God's judgement on you would be harsh. My father liked the sermon so much that he it picked it up and preached it once a year after that. I also grew up having heard famous protestant preacher's sermons like "Payday Someday" and "Sinners in the hands of an angry God". Naturally, loving my own children like I did, I wanted no harm to befall them, so I made sure they got the same message. The only problem was that it was a false message birthed out of the Western Theology of the Reformation and not the faith of the apostles or of the early church fathers.

I have been amazed, delighted, and shocked to discover that what I have believed to be the core purpose of Salvation was one that was not consistent with the historic faith...and millions have suffered, including my children. There is a stark difference between the Western and Eastern Soteriology (study of salvation). [When I say "Western" I mean Roman Catholicism and all that evolved from it, including culture, philosophies, doctrines, religious movements, organizations, ministries, and protestant denominations. When I say "Eastern" I refer to the Orthodox Christian Church and its 2000-year-old unchanging apostolic doctrines, structure and unity.] Here is what I should have taught my children concerning salvation and their relationship with their heavenly father:

1. I taught them: that the fall of man was the transgression of divine law.
I should have taught them: that the fall of man was the loss of communion and relationship with God and that it was the loss of a state of being not a loss of an ethical standing.

2. I taught them: that man inherited original sin, was guilty of it and deserved punishment for it through death and hell.
I should have taught them: that man inherited the ancestral consequences of sin, that man is influenced by his environment, and that death and hell are the consequences of sin through the separation from God. I should have taught them that Christ removed the consequences of sin so that we can return to our original relationship with him.

3. I taught them: that baptism was just a symbol or that it washed our original sin away.
I should have taught them: that baptism actually and sacramentally washes away the consequences of ancestral sin and is the door, the theosis, to restoration with God, thus baptism does save you.

4. I taught them: that man was totally depraved with no redeeming value.
I should have taught them: that man is "damaged" but not totally depraved because he is made in the image of God.

5. I taught them: that transgression demands satisfaction, that Christ's sacrifice was "required", that God needed to be appeased to keep from killing us all, and that this was a principal to which God was bound.
I should have taught them: that Communion needs restoration, that Christ's sacrifice was a "voluntary" act of love, and that God is not and has never been mad at us.

6. I taught them: that because of Christ's sacrifice, men are saved from punishment.
I should have taught them: that because of Christ's sacrifice, man has communion with God.

7. I taught them: that you get holy by being good-this is "sanctification".
I should have taught them: that you get holy by communion with God- this is "theosis".

8. I taught them: that Christ's sacrifice satisfies "original sin" but "temporal sin" must be punished on this earth and in the afterlife with the motivator being "Do good and don't break the rules."
I should have taught them: that Christ's sacrifice overcomes all sin once and for all, that salvation is about communion, that the consequence of temporal sin is the loss or prevention of our theosis with the motivator being "To better commune with God."

Daughters, this is the faith. This is the heavenly father's love in its purest form given to us by way of the traditions of the Apostles and preserved in the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church for over 2000 years. Yes, I blew it, but so did my father and his father before him. We were born into a western religious culture of blended doctrines, philosophies and practices. It was not the pure faith and not the faith of the early church, though it contained elements of truth and, by God's grace, paths that led to truth. Here is what I want you to know. God is not mad at you, has never been mad at you. He loves you and wants to talk with you. Come with us on this Journey to Orthodoxy. There is life here and maybe even restoration of relationships. This is my recompense-to have the heart of my Heavenly Father and to have you see Him in me the rest of my days.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Nathan! THanks for letting me know about your blog! So is this the same church that you were telling me about at the movie theater in Little Rock (I think you called it "the TRUE Catholic church, not the Romans")? If so, I wish you would have just said Eastern Orthodoxy, because I had NO idea what you were talking about, but I did know of E.O. Haha... oh well.

    It's very interesting that just today I had a brush with Eastern Orthodoxy (Antiochian to be exact) in a conference on Truth, Goodness, and Beauty. Frederica Matthews Green was one of the plenary speakers, speaking about "Beauty." Well, she didn't really speak about nature of beauty as much as she gave a disguised apologetic for the worship practices in the Orthodox church (hehe), but it was interesting. I -- of course -- had to disagree with her (and thus the Orthodox) perspective on art in the church, but that is to be expected.

    You may be surprised to hear that I actually agree with you on I think all of your 8 points except that on Baptism (and that, I really haven't done the kind of research on to hold a hard opinion on). These doctrines are actually in perfect harmony with where I see the Protestant church in general is heading right now (i.e., "The Emerging Church"). There is a protestant (actually Baptist!... although Canadian Baptist) systematic theology written by the late Stanley Grenz that I think it sounds like you would really reasonate with. It is called "Theology for the Community of God," and it goes through pretty much every Christian doctrine and ties it into the over-arching story of the fall and restoration of perfect community between God - Man - Creation. Very good stuff!

    While I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Eucharist and baptism are literally sacramental or salvific, I do frown upon how lightly it is received in the average Protestant church. I still take it as a symbol, but a very strong symbol, a symbol so strong that it affects my spirit. There is a lot, I think, that Protestants should learn from the Catholics and the Orthodox, as well as vice versa.

    I feel no "sorrow" for you at all. I am very glad that you have found a spiritual home, and from what I've read so far, I think that you are really on target theologically. As long as Love and the restoration of community is the heartbeat of your faith in God and your works, I think it would be very difficult to do evil...if not impossible.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,
    I am not suprised that you recently had a "Brush with Orthodoxy". Seems there is a whole lot of brushing going on. The church that I am a part of in Tennessee is a "convert" church, one of several protestant churches that where received into the Antiochian Orthodox Church in the 80's- Over 2ooo people at one time. You can read about that phenominal occurance in Father Peter Gilquist's writings. I am suprised that you agree with 7 out of 8 of the points I made in my article "How I blew it with my children...". If indeed you do, then you may in trouble, for you do not fit very well into western theology and thus the western church. On Baptism? There are so many truths and doctrines to rediscover. My BLOG does not exist to answer each one nor to act as an apologetic resourse. I would rather share with you questions that I have discovered, rather than answers, for I deem that those who founded the Church through the power of Holy Spirit are the source of the answers-not me. So, what do the early church fathers say about baptism? What did the early church practice, those ordained by the apostles and those that defended that faith even uto death. Along with that is the question: From what foundation do I believe what I believe? On my journey, I was forced to realize that what I believed was based on the last 400 years of of western protestant history and that I derived my theology from the writers and "theologians" whose works were only that old. What of the 1600 years prior to that? Even leaving alone the Great Scism, where the Western church broke with the Eastern Church, what did the undivided, unified, visible church believe and practice eveywhere and in all places, for 1000 years? What did they say baptism was and did and meant? We still have their written words and there is still a visible church body that has not strayed from the original doctrines. Of course, to embrace and authenticate anything the church believed throughout the years one must first deal with the protestant-motivated idea that for 1600 years the church was in spiritual and doctrinal darkness and error until God sent a man named Martin Luther to save it. But be careful here, for even that "savior" shared the church's historic view of the sacramental nature of baptism, the Eucharist. He also held to a few other non-modern day protestant doctrines such as the perpetual virginity of Mary and her veneration. I think it was a Roman Catholic Theologian who coined the phrase, "To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant." These and other questions stemming out of the writings of the Early Chruch Fathers were instrumental in the ruination of my religion. Oh, what glorious ruin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet stuff Nathan! I think you're mistaken about the "western" church though. Yes, that was essentially most of the church in modernity, but even the S. Baptist college I went to was teaching all 7 of those things that I believe and you believe. Most of my evangelical friends believe the same way, along with most of the church leaders I have talked to. The only difference being baptism (but even some would disagree with me on that). I don't have time to go into it right now, but I think the crux of our differences are really going to be around the idea that tradition is authoritative (if that is what the Orthodox believe, which I think it is). And that is a HUGE subject. While I definately feel that tradition should be considered and respected, I also know that man is fallen, and fallen man makes mistakes. I don't see the scriptures describing the church and its traditions as an infallible, incorruptible entity. Rather I see the opposite: discord, disagreements among the church leaders, and a great hope for the day "When the Perfect comes" a day "when we will no longer see as through a mirror dimly, but we shall see face to face." And that is the Parousia (second coming) of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the invite...alas, who knew a good cigar merged such worlds?

    Nathan Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:26 PM

    You made me wounder who your parents were even though we had the same. I understand that children have different relationships with their parents but it is very unusal that parents teach their children differently, religiously speaking. I have never in my life viewed God as a God to fear.I guess I had no reason to fear him since I'm on his side. I have developed my views from my own studies and experiences and also from the firm foundation that I credit my parents for giving me. My God has always loved and cared for me. As for the baptism thing, It has been said many times before in that if you are truly a child of God then you will want to be obedient to him in baptism, but to say that baptism is what saves you, leaves its saving power to babys, criminals and animals. To say that baptism saves you also is saying that you believe that I am going to hell because I don't believe this. I love you and I am glad you are happy and don't be suprised when you see me in heaven too cause I'm going. As long as you believe that Jesus is the way, the truth and the light and that no man comes to the Father except through him, your going too. Does anything else really matter? Peace my Brother. Have Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Saranita,
    I love you so much. Thanks for talking with me and allowing such openess and communication. Your comments are so real and heart felt and valid. I found them so constructive that I posted an article "It's All Relative". Take a look at it. I hope this explains my heart and allows us to continue to dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouraging words Dave. You are right. One of the most important areas of research is to find out what happened during tht "silent" 1500 years. If you start reading the early church Fathers instead of your favorite denominational authors you just might discover your doctrines are not the Church's. It still amazes me that people will adamately refuse to look at history. I am convinced it is either from ignorance or from fear.
    Mine was always from ignorance, blindly believing that which was taught to me in the denominational institutions. What an amazing world that was opened to me, a new paradigm of faith and hope. If one is born in a prison he thinks the prison is the whole world until one day the gates are opened. The movie, The Truman Show, is a good example. Thanks for the comment on dispensationalism. It is a pivotal subject in so many ways. I think I'll share the Orthodox view in an article. That will stir things up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:59 PM

    Allie Daughter #3 said...

    Your journey to find the truth was yes at times hard on us because we were young and confused, but now that I am older and have found the God of my understanding as He would reveal Himself to me, I see where your intentions were. You were like me. Had to look and explore to really find where God wanted you. One thing I will always be greatful for is that your journey has made me a seeker. Sometimes I anylize too much but I find the truth I need. Even though I left myself for a while and lived in hate of all things, I never lost my ability to seek. When I was ready I did return to what is my journey in faith.
    Dad, you did what was best for you and your family and I have no right to tell you that you didn't raise us right or teach us right. You never left us in the dark about what you had discovered. So we learned along the way with you. I love you and am pleased at where God has brought you. NEVER feel that you made a mistake with us, or speaking for myself, Me. You are where God would have you be. Keep seeking and living in truth and love, and I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment is posted via a hand- written letter to Journey To Orthodoxy. It is posted with permission:

    FROM DEBBIE:
    "...reagarding your view of Baptism as a sacrament, as well as Adam's comments about the protestant churches taking the Eucharist too lightly, I'm in your camp. Scripturally baptism does seem to be sacramental and necessary-I was always inclined that way based on what I read in the Bible-but your view of Salvation and Baptism as a kind of re-joining (to get to your "Recompense" Article) experience definately fits better than the way I thought.
    Your outlined points with the comparisons was terrific. I thouroughly agree that I was taught as you were taught (and find it odd that Sarah does not seem to think so, and quite odd indeed that Adam thought that protestant churches don't teach that...it seems to me there is some denial here.) I really like the way of looking at it which you have cone to: it's much more loving and healing. Frankly the way we were taught is psychologically dysfunctional. The way you present your new understanding is more mature.
    DEB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:10 PM

    My View of the Faith

    My first step into an Antiochian Orthodox church felt like home for me. I didn�t even notice that there were no instruments. The human voice is such a beautiful instrument all in itself; it�s a shame that people have drowned it with other forms of 'music'. All my life of journeying from church to church, trying to find the �true faith� ended for me when I took that first sniff of Orthodox incense. Not to mention all of the beautiful Icons of the Saints and our Lord Jesus Christ and the Mother of God the Theotokos. It felt like I was stepping into a place were change had never been considered. After the whole of my 16 years of seeking the true faith I was relived that my family had finally found a place where we could rest from our journey and praise God in a way that you didn�t have to question.
    My dad speaks of all the aspects he taught wrongly when raising me and my sisters. I just thank God that he can take at least one child of burden off his shoulders, because I didn�t pick up anything from those �wrong� teachings. By Gods grace he shut my ears and understanding when it came to those points.
    For an example, when my dad wrote about fearing God, that was the last thing on my mind. How could anyone fear God? He is such a loving and understanding God. Was fear of him even in Gods interest? I was too young to understand the meaning of fearing God and even today I still don�t understand it. If by fear it means to respect and honor then I agree. But by fear to be afraid, I can�t imagine.
    Yes there are times when you know you have displeased God by sins and fear of what he might do to you is ever present in your thoughts, but that is another thing my dad points out. God is not a punishing God. He is a loving and understanding God. That�s why he doesn�t smite you as soon as you sin. He understands the absence of him in our lives, that�s why he gives us unlimited chances to better our selves before him. What�s the point of God and living if we only get three strikes? Absolutely none.
    Another thing that my dad said about fearing God was that he taught us to fear him in the process. I remember one day my dad and I went to Kroger to pick up a few things. Before we got out of the car he asked me, �Are you afraid of me?� I replied, �Why should I be?� He said, �Good question.� I was confused until I read his Blog article. Although I don�t fear him, I understand what he meant now.
    Daughter #4-Casey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Casey,
    You are a 16 year old wonder. It must be Holy Spirit because you know the depts of some things that I sure haven't gotten around to teaching you. You are a gift from God to the world. May you contginue to be His creation and look more like Him and less like me.
    Your Dad

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.