Translate

Monday, March 19, 2007

Praying to the Saints

Okay, yes, it is semantics. The usage of the word "pray" has been altered in today's American vernacular. Keep in mind that Orthodoxy has not been Americanized, thanks be to God, neither has it been culturized. The old English usage may help to understand how we as Orthodox have the audacity to "pray" to anyone other than God. Do you remember the old "pray tell"? It simply means "please do tell". The root usage is to talk to or speak. Praying to the saints is to talk to them. It does not suggest that they have the independent power to answer or move matters on earth or take on any of the attributes of God. Now, what do we talk to them about? We ask them to pray for us. They are not dead. They are the faithful of all the ages who exist around the throne of God. It is these same saints who are present in the Liturgy as the "windows of heaven" open to touch we who are in earthen vessels through the Eucharist. They are worshiping with us and we with them. The most common objection I receive from my Protestant friends is, "Why do I need them to pray for me when I can go to God directly?" My answer has never been misunderstood nor rejected by the questioner, "Do you ever ask anyone to pray for you? Why do you do that if you can go directly to God?" These same questioners go to counselors or ask advise of others. Why do they do this if they can go directly to God? The fact is that we all recognize that we need each other. We bear one another's burdens. We are to "confess our faults to one another". We are to "pray for one another", and the Saints are not dead! They remain that "great cloud of witnesses' to all that occurs in the Kingdom of God, including that which occurs to we who are still in our mortal bodies. Who better to pray for us than those who have "run the good race, and fought the good fight" and who now dwell in their heavenly bodies? So, we who are Orthodox stand before an Icon or picture of a Saint who we know may have endured the same that we are going through and ask them to "pray to God for me". My prayer to my patron Saint is:



"O saint of God, Paul, pray to God for me, for my home and my family. Amen. Pray to God for me, O Saint Paul, well-pleasing to God, for I readily recommend myself to you, who are the speedy helper and intercessor for my soul. Amen."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:48 PM

    About the icons. I get it. I like it. I love
    > the photos of the life-sized ones. I like the idea
    > of the community of saints. And I get the idea of
    > asking others to pray for you and with you,
    > including asking the living saints. It is a
    > comforting idea, very "family" feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention that the usage of Icons as an instrument of prayer in the Church was long ago settled by the whole Church. Once again the Protestants fail to know history and lean heavily on personal opinion to condemn the practice.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.