Translate

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Holy Smokes" Up in Smoke

I have mentioned my participation in a predominantly Protestant group called "Holy Smokes" that meets every Wednesday morning at the local cigar shop through the kindness of the Catholic owner. I, being the only non-Protestant in the group, have had some very interesting conversations. I wondered along the way if our differences in ethos and theology might make it too contentious of a setting. I have referred to myself as the "odd man out." After months of meetings I am, after today, literally the "odd man... out." I noticed along the way that, although we talked of fellowship and brotherhood, I was never invited to go fishing or golfing with the guys and it seemed at times as if they were trying to save my soul, but surprisingly, it was not theology, discussions, or lack of inclusion that divided us. It was integrity.

I take great issue with a group of men or anyone, deciding on a matter and then not doing it. Maybe I am a man of my word to a fault. If this is the case, then I am to blame for false expectations. I believe, however, that integrity is a Christian principal that is not optional. So what brought the great divide? What caused these men to turn on me with venom and name calling? I questioned the group's (not individuals) integrity. For a group of men to decide to a start at 8 A.M. and have only two men arrive at that time week after week, the others arriving regularly from 8:30 to 9 A.M., may be considered simple lack of consideration. But to tell the owner of the cigar shop, who allows us free use of his space, electricity, water, provides us our own key, and trusts us with the security code, that we will buy a monthly box of cigars from him for group use, then to not only neglect to do so but to decide not to do so, is lack of integrity...and I told them so. To me, you don't say one thing and do another, especially while knowingly taking advantage of another brother. By the way, did I mention that the owner is Catholic...? A group called "Holy" Smokes should present itself, at the very least, as Christian men of integrity in the marketplace. Anything less is just blowing smoke.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:50 PM

    Integrity, my brother, is not easy to come by in this day and age. Were it any other way then the Gospel would not be such a "strange" thing in the eyes of the world.

    James 5:12

    12Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned.

    Please know you and your ladies are being prayed for faithfully.

    In Christ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Bless,
    Thank you Abouna David. It is good to hear from you and I so appreciate your confirming words. I am passionate and loyal in all of my relationships and especially shaken when one is breeched. I take no joy in extending rebuke knowing that, at times, I too am deserving of such. Your prayers are tangible.
    Father Bless,
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid we have lack of intergrity in our own flock as well. All too often the harvest is great but the workers are few.

    Don't let it bother you. Being Odox is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vir,
    "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning. Great is thy faithfulness, oh Lord."

    Your sobering words have somehow lifted me.

    I won't let it bother me...
    "After all, tomorrow is another day."
    (Sorry. That was the screenwriter in me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand where you are coming from. I hope that in the end, when we stand as brothers that we stand as brothers. Sometimes it is those that fear the new, the truth that they sometimes act like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks "Stranger". The fact is we are are all sinners and I am no one to stand in judgment of a brother, but I do not have to accept what he does and it is my responsibility to not associate in communion with those who willfully and without repentance hurt others. I am in need of forgiveness and rebuke as well. The simple response that brings healing is the to listen and then repent. By the way, don't be a stranger!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.