Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Realigning Relationships

The further I step into the bosom of the Church the more I am confronted with the need to realign relationships. I fully expected that there would be an adjustment with my immediate family members and even cousins, uncles and aunts, who knew me as a good protestant minister. What could not be foreseen is that relationships with friends, and other evangelical acquaintances would change and in some cases dissolve. Of course the Church does not require such a divide as a practice, but as the commonality of belief, ethos, world view, doctrines and the very definitions of "church" becomes more glaringly uncommon, I find my links to these relationships less important and less fulfilling. Some have run their own course and ended of their own accord. Others, I have had to speak to or lend energy to redirect the course. Neither option is without pain and loss.

My wife and I recently had a 20 year friendship with another couple end at their request. Certainly with 20 years of history there are many elements involved in such a divide and I am not without fault, but the common thread of unity between all people of faith is made strong only in the Church. Without that commonality there is no firm foundation of belief, practice or friendship. A friendship based on anything other is destined for polarization. It is only from the other side of that relationship that we can more fully see the inherent fragility of its structure. We believed in the Visible Church, they did not, to the extent that they committed themselves to none (a very common and accepted evangelical charismatic practice-love God but loath the "church"). They were given to worldliness and vulgarities and though we also have that propensity to sin, we are convicted in heart to not do so and chastised severely of the Spirit when we do. We see now that we were not included in their entire circle of friends because our conservatism and desire for righteousness would throw cold water on the party. We are very leery of any belief or practice that does not have its origin in the life of the Church. They embraced spiritualism to the extent that they denounced catholics and embraced the mysticism of the Native American religions while living their life following signs and visions and chasing after individual prophetic words given them by charismatic prophets.

God forbid that any should read this as a comparison of who is the more righteous, for I am sure anyone knowing me will be able to list my sins with a fair amount of accuracy. The point here is the existence of the lack of commonality of the desire to adhere to the faith of our Fathers. When that assessment is accurately made, the need for realignment of relationships becomes profound.

Today I had another breech and realignment. This one was at my request. A dear, committed friend who heads up a valuable ministry in the marketplace, recently made clear to me that realignment of our relationship was imminent. Though I addressed it with her previously, provoking a less than kind response, she did not seem to understand the gulf that exists between those who have as their desire the building up of the Church of the Apostles, and those who proactively seek its destruction. Unfortunately, I recognized that she had joined the later ideology. As a result, I sent her the following letter:

Sandra (not her real name),
I am grateful for your phone call today I recognize and appreciate the wonderful things you do for the souls of men. It is important for me to express however, that our relationship has changed from the time we first met on the phone. Our season of mutual prayer and similar goals for the marketplace quickly ebbed away after we had our confrontation over "tearing down the old structures." If you will recall, I told you that I could not support the idea that you were writing, speaking and promoting an "Invisible Church" and advocating the demise of the very thing I was trying to build up- The Visible Church and the return of all believers to the historic faith, doctrines and practices of the Church of the Apostles - the Orthodox Church. You reacted very strongly to my words. I was surprised after that when you called as if nothing had happened. Knowing your heart for God, I cannot consider you an enemy nor hold any contempt for you, but the fact is I am not comfortable with future phone calls where you ask me to "give you a report." I will continue to hope for the very best of God's will for you and will invite you to follow my journey at www.journeytoorthodoxy.blogspot.com, as I make my way out of the maze and mire of the evangelical charismatic world, which is the modern day equivalent of the heretical Montanists and Gnostics. I am and will forever be grateful for your kindness to me and and prayers for me and my family. I will still look forward to the day when we might meet face to face. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
Your Brother in Christ,

Nathan

The realignment of relationships requires that some change and others go away. But I am reminded of the scripture of promise to all who will follow Christ in the bosom of the Orthodox Faith. It gives me hope even now and I pray it will you as well while you make your Journey to Orthodoxy.

"So Jesus answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sister or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel's, who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time-houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions-and in the age to come, eternal life. But many who are first shall be last and the last first'."

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid this is all too common my friend. We all go through this, especially our priests and one Bishop, most of whom are from those man-made sects these former friends of yours adhere to. We all have our stories. You should read Msr. Mangels' at the western orthodox site.

    You're in good company my friend. This is what it was to be a 1st century Christian. Christ came to bring division as he said. You suffer for his sake. Being Orthodox isn't supposed to be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about some encouraging words, Vir? :) You are so right. Seeing the small things that I have had to endure pale in comparison to what others have faced. I used to marvel at the ability of a Jewish parent to disown a child who leaves Judaism. I marvel more now at the the ability of a Protestant parent to disown a child who becomes Orthodox. Coming home to the faith of our Fathers is divisive. God give us wisdom not to contribute to the divisiveness with our own fleshly reactions. I am blessed that, although it was touch and go with my own Southern Baptist Pastor Father, my relationship with him is now amiable. My siblings are another matter. I will see all of them at Thanksgiving. Hey, Daniel survived the lions den...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:29 PM

    Your thoughtful comments remind me of what I was told when I joined AA some 30 years ago. You must accept the fact that you have to change your playground and playmates. It is never easy but absolutely necessary. It may be lonely at times but it is more honest. God bless you. And by the way, I experienced it again when I left the Episcopal church and entered Orthodoxy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anon. I am blessed in my wife of 27 years who walks with me on this Journey To Orthodoxy or it might be lonely indeed. I am also blessed in my newfound brothers and sisters in the Faith of our Fathers. Not to mention being introduced to the Fathers themselves. I was told they were all dead. To my delight they are alive and well and I get to worship with them at every Liturgy and pray with them at our home altar. Thank God for Icons. More importantly, I have the indwelling of Holy Spirit in which I live and move and have my being.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.