Translate

Friday, July 18, 2008

Thanks Be To God-For Misunderstandings

Thanks be to God for misunderstandings, for the character of a person is proven in their evident desire to have clear relationships. Two, whose hearts have been proven amidst misunderstanding, are the sister and brother-in-law of the Church of Christ "friend" of which I have been referring. They posted a comment on the article Leaving The Faith To Get To The Faith. Although their comment was posted as a retort of what they perceived to be a false accusation from me towards them, their words and conciliatory tone proves the compassionate heart of their faith. This does not surprise me, however, for if the caliber of faith resident in my friend is any indication there is a great heritage of godliness stored within this family. [In case you missed it, the heart of Orthodoxy is to accept the Christian experience of those outside the Orthodox Church as authentic. My own Trinitarian baptism at the hands of my Southern Baptist Father was received in the Orthodox Church, though blessed and "completed." Orthodox never reserve the right to determine the salvific state of one who professes Christ as Lord.]
By way of explanation: The process of writing blog articles necessitates an awareness that many people from all over the world will be reading each article. Thus, wisdom would dictate that an individual article not be tailored as a personal discourse to one or even a few. I make an effort to speak in broad terms. Although an article may be inspired or motivated by a unique event, a sincere attempt is made to use the actual circumstances only as illustrations to the theme of the article. This is why I refer to "friend" rather than use the actual name. For instance, the bullet points in the article Leaving The Faith To Get To The Faith which lists the manipulative tactics used by some to keep a member from leaving a particular religious sect is also applicable to Baptists not just Church of Christ. In fact the website that inspired the points is psychological in theme and highlights human nature not just religious tendencies.

There have been over 700 visitors to Journey To Orthodoxy in two weeks, many a result of this friend's Journey To Orthodoxy. The fact remains that he has been accosted by at least one person. The fact also remains that that one person was not a family member and, by the grace of God, his family has been kind, communicative, thoughtful and godly in their response to him. One of the rules of blogging is to check the comment section under each article. Quite often the discourse found there will clear up misunderstandings. Here is the exchange between "friend" and myself under the aforementioned article:

Blogger [Friend] said...

I know these things have happened, and more so than they should have, but I feel the need to express my own personal experiences:

Though I have left the Church of Christ and am worshiping at an Orthodox church; and in doing so have put myself in a sense at odds with my family and friends, they mostly have been very supporting and encouraging along the way. The condemning attitude of Church of Christ Christians seems to weakening.

There was one attack upon me, but even this particular individual and I are now having a peaceful email correspondence between one another in love.

I do believe that the Church of Christ was made aware of the condemning spirit that so lived within it for so long and is coming to a repentance over it. Many of them are going in too far another more liberal direction and like Luther said: "Falling off one side of the ass, only to get back on and fall off the other." But many of them have been humbled and are seeking to make right those bad things which were done in the past. I am living proof.

1:43 AM

Blogger Nathan Lee Lewis said...

There is always good mixed with bad and bad mixed with good. If the scales are tipping and the COC is corporately beginning to practice mercy, it is a good thing. I am happy your experience has been better than the scenarios I presented. I am certain others have had a more favorable experience as well. Religious cultures, however, do not change overnight. What we can do is minister to individuals who are in need of mercy and healing.
By way of apology to friend's family who have felt a sense of indictment where none was due, I find no reference in my articles to friend's family, however, a Guest Article by Gavin Smith erroneously referred to friend's "acquaintances and family members" being problematic. I take full responsibility for this misstatement and don't hold it to Gavin's account. I proof read the article before posting it and the erroneous reference to family was overlooked. Gavin has edited that portion to simply read "acquaintances" removing the reference to family. Please forgive my offense. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

For those who may have ascertained who "friend" is, please know that I have met his parents. I have dined in their home and and slept in their guest bedroom. We have socialized also outside the home. A more, loving, godly and Christ focused family would be hard to find. They have treated this Eastern Orthodox Christian as one of their own. I am blessed to know them and they are my brother and sister in our Lord. Indeed, the measure of these parents is seen in the son they have produced. Friend is a man after God's own heart. No may can own him for he is bought with a price.

One of the greatest compliments I have heard lately came from another Church of Christ friend who is on a similar journey. "Nathan I have to be honest with you. You have had only a little to do with me becoming Orthodox, " he said. Truly it is God who draws men for as Paul said to Timothy, "You need no man to teach you." These friends are such. They are Timothys.

1 comment:

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.