Translate

Monday, June 05, 2006

My Beloved Priest

This is my beloved priest, Father Steven Rogers of St. Ignatius Antiochian Orthodox Church in Franklin, TN.
I feel a special affinity with him not only because he was the first to serve me the Holy Eucharist but because he, too, is a former Southern Baptist. Father Steven started his career as a journalist and didn't become a priest until his early forties. He has been senior priest at Saint Ignatius for 10 years. I have been blessed to see his heart of compassion toward the people whose souls he guards. He is quick to tears of compassion and strong to rebuke or correct in love. He is quick to wit and humor and strong to teach and expound the principals of the faith. The mark of a man's character is proven not by what one says to his face but by what one says behind his back. I have always heard only praise for this man of God. The only weakness I have spotted in Father Steven is the propensity to devote too much time and effort to the work of the ministry. Oh, that I might emulate that weakness! The only criticism I have heard is that Father Steven has a monastic heart of devotion toward his service to the Church and expects his parishioners to have the same. Oh, that I might be criticized thus! I always look for him to come near me when at the Temple, not because I desire his attention, but because I desire to offer my open hands to him, say the words "Father Bless", and kiss his right hand that blesses and offers me the Holy Eucharist from the Holy Altar. I pray that I may be an Aaron to this Moses his next 10 years as he leads the people toward the promises of the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to JTO. Feel free to comment. All comments are screened prior to posting. Comments containing ad hominems will be deleted.